What You Will FInd Here ...

Join me in my celebration of life and language through poetry. You will find no hint of literary snobbery here. Much like our beloved English ... THIS poet is very much alive, fun-loving, growing and changing!

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Man's Work


Up and down the ladder he schleps
a sweating ant
repeatedly defying gravity by
working his way up and down the drain pipe

Cleaning the gutters
painting the shutters
re-glazing the windows
caulk gun wielded like a sten
in the expert hands of a stealthy sniper

Dried paint droplets
cling to a beloved shirt
ratty and too often rescued from the rag bag
splatters on his work boots
testify silently
to projects challenged, dueled and won

Mists of wood and shrapnel
cling to bed-head hair,
eyebrows and a steel wool beard
beneath squinted eyes the glint of
noonday sun is tamed

I remain on the ground
shouting helpful instruction
and encouragement
cool beneath the shade of my large straw hat
I am full of white hot inspiration
and cold beer

Still my hero
diligently
sweats and schleps up and down the ladder
defying gravity by
clinging to my heart

No comments:

Post a Comment