What You Will FInd Here ...

Join me in my celebration of life and language through poetry. You will find no hint of literary snobbery here. Much like our beloved English ... THIS poet is very much alive, fun-loving, growing and changing!

Thursday, October 13, 2011

Lord, Have Mercy


I am
a southern woman
having been painstakingly
trained to be
unquestioning
demure – docile 
imagine Scarlett O'Hara
without the sassy attitude
or hoop skirt
raised to be almost
sickeningly sweet
much like
those heaping cupfuls of
refined sugar added
to our
syrupy
iced sweet-tea

Like most here
I accept God
as being real
alive
listening
So, I dared asked him
"Hey, God
do you  
have any faith
left in me"?

I make no apologies
to any reader
whom I might offend
by talking openly of 
matters spiritual
know this …
my upbringing has
shaped my faith
my core
the very person
whom,
in essence,
I am

I’ve been praying
fasting
pleading
for an answer
to my prayers
maybe Jesus took a
holiday
my calls
deferred
to his voice-mail
or perhaps my inquiries have escalated
to be handled by his Dad
our mutual father-God
is it possible
our Creator
has grown tired
from my
too frequent pleading?

I am beseeching him
for an angel
beautiful
celestial messenger
to relate
from here
to near the foot
of heaven’s highest throne 
to whisper
of my
respect
honor
reverence
love

"Hey, God
it's just me again
I have faith in you
yet sometimes I doubt
whether you have faith
in me".


No comments:

Post a Comment