What You Will FInd Here ...

Join me in my celebration of life and language through poetry. You will find no hint of literary snobbery here. Much like our beloved English ... THIS poet is very much alive, fun-loving, growing and changing!

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

For Momma at Mother's Day


The first songs I ever sang
Were taught to me
At Momma's knee
Her clear soprano voice
Carried melodies
Oh, so sweet to me
No birdsong can compare to
Soft - low lullabies
That soothed away my baby cries
Lulling me to slumber's shores
In the arms of one adored
As Momma sang to me
Warmth of her love enfolded me

My first prayers offered
I knelt beside my toddler's bed
A tender child; the sleepyhead
Tiny hands folded together reverently
My eyes shut tight
As Momma prayed; with faith and might

In her job of raising me
Momma knew
That as I grew
To teach me to become a woman of integrity
Was God's calling for her mother's heart
I thank you, Momma
Your love has never failed me
With your help
I am the person God has created me to be
The race is won
Your part is done
Come, rest here in my love's warmth a while
I'll sing you close to slumber's shores
Lean on me
She whom I ... do so adore

Book of Proverbs - Chapter 31

10 A wife of noble character who can find?
   She is worth far more than rubies.
28 Her children arise and call her blessed;
   her husband also, and he praises her:
29 “Many women do noble things,
   but you surpass them all.”
30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting;
   but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
31 Honor her for all that her hands have done,
   and let her works bring her praise at the city gate.  

No comments:

Post a Comment