What You Will FInd Here ...

Join me in my celebration of life and language through poetry. You will find no hint of literary snobbery here. Much like our beloved English ... THIS poet is very much alive, fun-loving, growing and changing!

Friday, July 8, 2011

Surviving the Dry Season



So dry, this desolate grassy savanna
Where nothing, no nothing
Is gained without a heavy cost
Life hangs on by a shallow, panting breath;
A delicate, sticky spider's thread

Even the repulsive buzzards beg
Very nearly evoking my pity
Flailing their wings
Screeching - scratching at the ground
For a precious drop of moisture from
Water holes - long since dried
Into hardened, cracked shards of pottery

Hellish heat
Eternal inferno
Fevered shimmering clouds ablaze
Undulate with their taunting dance of seduction
Rising from the earth to appear
To my sun addled brain
As vertical waves of water
Precious … precious water

I am mad with thirst
Crazed by the relentless heat
In this arid, barren season
It is nearly time for the rains
Will they never come?
Heaven sent droplets
Falling liquid sustenance which allow us
To survive ... to live ... to thrive
I pray for the rain that will once again
Stream down my face in rivulets, like tears

No comments:

Post a Comment