What You Will FInd Here ...

Join me in my celebration of life and language through poetry. You will find no hint of literary snobbery here. Much like our beloved English ... THIS poet is very much alive, fun-loving, growing and changing!

Friday, August 5, 2011

This Old Dog



My dog Madeline (a.k.a "Maddie")


This old dog
This mongrel mix
Whose dainty Collie face
Refutes Labrador’s sturdy frame

She is eleven
In people years, of course
Yet really she is seventy-seven
A little old lady who rolls in the grass
She has a sense of humor
Did you know dogs can laugh?

This old dog
Is slowing down
Swallowing pills for arthritic hips
She loves short walks
To ride in the car
Her head out the window
Free wind blowing all around her
Leaving smears of drool on the glass

This old dog
Is my companion
As well as my dear friend
She may be old
Yet, she is beloved
And will remain so
Long past her end

No comments:

Post a Comment